The Antigua and Barbuda Airport Authority (ABAA) Act was passed by an Act of Parliament in November 2006. The mandate of the new Statutory body was stated as “to provide for the establishment of an Airport Authority; to make provisions for the ownership, control, management and development of airports in Antigua and Barbuda; and for matters connected generally with management of airports”.
The primary functions of the Authority are as follows:
- Manage and administer efficiently and in a businesslike manner airports vested in the Authority;
- Without prejudice to the generality of subsection (1) the Authority shall:
- Construct, develop, upgrade and improve airports and such other aviation facilities in Antigua and Barbuda
- Operate airports services in accordance with this Act or regulations made there under
- Prescribe and collect the rates, fees and charges authorized by this Act or by any regulation made there under.
The ABAA currently manages the operations of two airports, the V C Bird International Airport and the Codrington Airport located on our sister isle Barbuda.
Prior to 2006, these Airports were operated under the auspices of the Ministry of Civil Aviation and managed by an Aerodrome Superintendent. Between 2006 and 2009, a transition from the Aerodrome was effected to bring all of the departments under the umbrella of ABAA. This umbrella now covers:
- Safety and Security
- Operations: Maintenance; Customer Service; Airport Operations Center and Janitorial
- Finance and Accounting, Commercial
- Executive Office
- Human Resources
Vision and Mission Statements
To develop, operate and maintain modern, environmentally friendly facilities to promote economic development through competent human resources, functional leadership, a safety and security culture while delivering exceptional customer service.
To position VCBIA as the Gateway of Choice to the Eastern Caribbean and Beyond.
The Antigua and Barbuda Airport Authority’s board of directors and executive team focus on ensuring the company is managed at the highest strategic level. We work to realize the company’s long-term corporate objectives, as it continuously strives to become one of the world’s most modern and welcoming airport.
THE BOARD OF DIRECTORS
Meet the board members who are responsible to guide the management team on the strategic vision for the Airport Authority:
- ROLSTON POTTER – Chairman
- KAREN BURTON
- BRIAN D’ORNELLAS
- LYDIA PHILLIP
- CLEMENT ANTONIO
THE EXECUTIVE TEAM
- V. EULETTA FRANCIS – CHIEF EXECUTIVE OFFICER
- JOSEPH SAMMUEL – DIRECTOR OF OPERATIONS
- KEBRA NANTON – CHIEF FINANCIAL OFFICER
- AVERY HENRY – DIRECTOR OF SAFETY AND SECURITY